Tuesday 14 August 2007

Harris and the Mare

This is a radio play from an early 80's CBC radio program called Nightfall. They take Newfoundland song writer Stan Rogers' song and craft a radio drama from it. I enjoy Nightfall, but the initial few minutes of this piece made me roll my eyes. Big time. However, by the end of the play I was completely hooked. Not your usual bizarre fair, which was the staple of Nightfall. It tended to be horror suspense type stories. Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill Howell, who created "Nightfall" and was producer on "Harris and the Mare", John Douglas, who wrote the script, and Stan Rogers were all close friends. As I understand it, Howell suggested producing the song as a play for the Good Friday 1982 broadcast of "Nightfall", which makes the content of the play very fitting.

A remixed version of the play can be found on the CD "Poetic Justice", which can usually be found for sale on eBay or other on-line used CD sites.

Oh, a small correction, "Nightfall" ran from 1980 to 1983.

Jason Pichonsky said...

Correction made. Thanks for the extra insight.

Anonymous said...

hi can someone direct me as to how i could purchase a copy of this radio drama so that it could be performed down here in st. john's???