Saturday 21 April 2007

AWAKENINGS

Well, zombie film number two is about to leave the gate. She’s all locked and loaded, except…

I just need to replace some of the screaming.

I did a temp scream for one of the main characters of the segment and I just don’t cut it as a voice actor. I’ve talked to the original actor and he’s set to do it, so now we just need to find the time.

I’m also a bit disappointed with the quality of my image. We shot it in 16mm and transferred it to a 16:9 anamorphic frame. But there is a lot of grain in the image, which I hadn’t expected because I used a slower stock and exposed it well. My guess to the increased grain is that the film we shot on had been in the freezer a bit too long. It’s okay on a small screen letterboxed, but on my HDTV it really bugs me.

So taking a queue from Rodrigez and Tarrantino, I’m going to run with that and add a few extra film artifacts a la Grindhouse. Which is OK since the film is really inspired from that era and type of film. So adding some scratches is just icing on the cake.

I've also started a sound mix on EXISTENCE. It's coming along nicely. Mostly colour graded as well.

I plan to put up a review of "Grindhouse" in the next day or so. "Death Proof" blew me away. And oddly enough "Vanishing Point" was on the tube the other night (It's heavily influenced "Death Proof"). I just want to try and get to the film again before I post that.

No comments: